At McAdam, as we provide essential services throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we are grateful for the continued trust our customers have invested in us.
In that spirit, we offer this essential winter checklist to help you prepare your garden for the coming season:
- Perennials - Cut back all non-winter interest perennials and dispose of the debris.
- Seasonal Flowers – Remove summer flowers and dispose of the plant debris.
- Bulbs – Divide and plant existing bulbs or plant new bulbs for next spring. Planting depth and spacing will be dependent on the type of bulb.
- Amending soil –Get a jump-start on spring by preparing soils with compost, manure, and other items, so that is one less item to address when spring arrives.
- Mulching – Replenishment in fall will provide similar benefits to spring and summer mulching, with the added benefit of regulating temperatures around the roots and limiting the effects of freeze and thaw cycles.
- Plan for next year – Even though everything is going dormant, it is never too early to start planning for any changes or additions you want to make to your garden.
And remember: our Nursery & Garden Center is still open. Online shopping with delivery to your door and curbside pick-up are available. Visit www.mcadamgardencenter.com for more details.T
This installment of "Ask the Plant Expert" will be published in the October 21, 2020 edition of the Wednesday Journal of Oak Park and River Forest, the Forest Park Review and the Riverside-Brookfield Landmark.