Winter is more than halfway over, which means it’s time to start planning your landscape project or new design so you can hit the ground running as spring arrives. A five-step plan can help make that happen:
- Determine your wish list – What does your dream landscape look like? A great landscape is an extension of your living space into the outdoor realm. Think about your dream landscape’s “feel,” including amenities.
- Get the lay of the land – Walk around your property and take inventory of what you would like to keep, what needs to be changed, and what needs to go. This sets the foundation for the design process.
- Design time – Look at the big picture and design the entire space, even if you are only working with one area at a time. This creates a cohesive landscape plan to execute instead of haphazard plantings in random locations.
- Visualize – From inside your home, visualize the plans when looking out your windows. A beautiful landscape, framed in a window, is the best kind of artwork for your home.
- Execute and implement – Once you have determined your final design, it’s time to execute the plan and begin installation!
Feel like this is a daunting process or that you need help? Our full team of landscape designers and a landscape architect can help transform your dreams into reality.
This installment of "Ask the Plant Expert" will be published in the February 13, 2019 edition of the Wednesday Journal of Oak Park and River Forest, the Forest Park Review and the Riverside-Brookfield Landmark.